Monday, October 10, 2011

Critical Thinking from the Library

           Critical thinking... it seems to be the main focus of our college year. I always thought that coming to college I would develop a knowledge of my major which would prepare me for graduate school; however, as I have been at Southern for the past month, I have Learnt very fast that this is not the main focus of college. Critical thinking is a huge focus in college. But why? I did some research at the library this week to find out some more about Critical thinking.
          The most important thing I saw while researching is that critical thinking is everywhere! Critical thinking is not just for the talk show host; critical thinking take place in hospitals, in teaching, in history, and in virtually every subject or profession we may want to pursue. Since I hope to become a doctor and I am majoring in biology, I looked up books and articles pertaining to my field of study relating to critical thinking.
           The book I took out was called Critical Thinking In Medical-Surgical Settings. This book was very interesting! It took a case study approach to teaching how to think critically in a hospital setting. The book provides the reader with a multiplicity of different scenarios and it asks questions to invoke helpful critical thinking in specific scenarios. The book is a good tool used to introduce people new to the medical field how to think critically. I think this is useful because you will be prepared in situations which can be very serious or life threatening.
          The second article I found was more of an interesting read called, Teaching and Assessing Critical Thinking in Radiologic Technology Students. This article was long; however I grasped that there were many ways to assess and teach Critical thinking. It once again stresses the importance of learning and maintaining critical thinking in the medical field.  
           I am glad I took a trip to the library. It really opened my eyes to the types of books which could be available to me. I think I should take advantage of these resources because it will help me advance in  my degree and take out of college what I need to get. Not only will I come out of college with a biology degree, but I will also have a good understanding of how to think critically in the medical field, which will definitely be vital to my performance. 
Link to the Article:

No comments:

Post a Comment