Now that we are living on campus, we can no longer look to our parents to fix every sniffle, upset stomach, or head ache we have. The closest we can come is a phone call home for comfort. However, the university wants the students to know, we are not alone when it comes to our health. It is essential for the student to feel his or her best to perform at optimal levels. College is a common place to contract illnesses. We are all living in close quarters, sharing showers and bathrooms, eating the same food and sitting at the same desks. We are very susceptible to illnesses. The question becomes how should I prevent illnesses and if I do become ill, where do I go.
I recently visited the Student Health center. It is located across the street from the Wintergreen building, which is easily acceptable for most students. I was not sure what to expect the first time I went. I guess I was expecting something similar to a high school nurse; however, upon arriving my expectations were proven wrong. I asked the secretary what they did at this particular health center and how much they could help me if I got sick. She said that the Student Health Center was a full functioning nurses station where they treated you if you were sick, they do vaccines, and they do physicals. The only think they do not do is test people for things such as allergies.
The Student Health Center is also a great place to learn about the up keep of a person's health, and the prevention of illness. while I was there I took a few free pamphlets that I found beneficial to my knowledge. I took pamphlets on the upkeep of your body, prevention of flu and colds, proper hand washing, and pamphlets on the flu. There are also a multiplicity of other pamphlets that inform students about STD's, and more personal health. I found these pamphlets very help flu because for those time where you are either too embarrassed or you do not want bother the nurse to ask there are pamphlets for everything you may need to know. My advice is not to be afraid to use the facilities the school provides us with. Although I hope I do not have to spend too much time in the Student Health Center, it is important to me that I know the Amenities are available.
Help facts from the pamphlet! : )
*The common cold and respiratory infections are caused by a virus.
What does that mean?
The common cold and respiratory infections are not affectively treated by antibiotics.
What should I do?
Wait it out... unless:
*You have a temperature over 101 degrees
· *Your symptoms get worse after the first 3-4 days
· *Your symptoms last more than 2 weeks
· *If you have difficulty breathing
Helpful Tips:
· *Eating hot soup and drinks
· *Long hot showers
· *Wash your hands frequently
· *Get plenty of rest
· *Take lots of vitamin C
Coming from pamphlets:
Managing the Common Cold. American College Health Association. November 2008.
The common cold or Respiratory Infections. Created by Student Health Services.
No comments:
Post a Comment